US woman blows off fingers after confusing stick of dynamite for candle

0
457

A woman in the United States suffered serious injuries after she mistakenly lit a stick of dynamite thinking it was a candle during a power outage. A 30-year-old mother of two was badly injured in the In the incident which happened on Sep 6 in the city of Connecticut.

The woman’s costly mistake happened when her family’s home lost power during a thunderstorm and she “attempted to light” what she believed were candles in the basement left behind by the previous residents. The family was unable to purchase emergency lighting at a Home Depot store, for it had closed.

The quarter stick of dynamite she ignited exploded in her hand. Authorities say the woman suffered severe injuries to her hand and face and could lose several fingers as a result of her injuries. All family members of the woman were home at the time of the “tragic accident”, but no else was injured. The explosion was so strong that it blew out one of the windows inside the home.

“She attempted to light one of what she thought was the candle and turned out to be a quarter stick of dynamite,” police said.

Authorities who searched the home for other explosives, removed another dynamite device. State police officers later disposed of the device. Connecticut law prohibits the possession of fireworks or dynamite, but authorities say they are not filing charges against the family.

Leave a comment